How to be more resilient

I have been sharing a bit more of my personal journey, which is at the moment focussed on meditating more on positive than negative. 

Resilience
One thing I've been looking at is building resilience:  the ability to bounce back after disappointments or obstacles.  I get a little irritated when people talk about "thinking positive" or looking at the glass as half-full.  Personally, I prefer to understand more why I think negative, than just avoid the negative and force the positive.  Think the latter are more short-term gain with a long-term loss.  But that is also how I function and think and I know for sure that others don't function the way I do. 

Know thy self
One way to build on resilience is to know your own strengths so you can build on those strengths.  It helps me to know what I do well naturally.  I can then work on fostering those strengths to reach goals - even if the goal is just to survive the day.  On the other hand, I enjoy self-development and practical things to change and work on. 

Positive psychology
There is a branch of psychology called positive psychology.  It focuses more on one's strengths and accomplishments to foster change and growth.  Other types of psychology would look more towards what has gone wrong - more problem focussed.  I think there is a place for both and there should be a balance. 

So, in order to focus more on the noble, good, and those things I've shared, I've decided to do a survey called Values-in-Action.  It's designed by a reputable group of researchers, so not one of those magazine-type "what's your shopping-style" type nonsense surveys.  If you want to do it, you can register here.  Just note that it's a proper survey, so it's long - 240 questions.  So make sure you have enough time to complete the whole thing.

Results for free
The free results are basically a list of your strengths and I think the top5 are probably a good reflection of your strengths.  Typically with these positive-type things, even #24 - your lowest strengths is still listed as a strength.  Or maybe I'm just missing the positive point here?

Here I am
Anyway, here are my top 5 strengths.  It's a good reflection of where I am in my life.  I recognise myself here as I've always had a thirst for information and understanding that makes others sigh with overload.  And I have a knack for questioning conventional wisdom - to the frustration of many.  So, these things are definitely me.  I was quite surprised how high I rated my ability and desire to do things in a new way.  Ja, that is me.  And it makes me understand my current frustration with my life and my desire for change.  I do like new things.  New ways.  New ideas. 

"Your Top Character Strength
Creativity, ingenuity, and originality
Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

Your Second Character Strength
Curiosity and interest in the world
You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

Your Third Character Strength
Bravery and valor
You are a courageous person who does not shrink from threat, challenge, difficulty, or pain. You speak up for what is right even if there is opposition. You act on your convictions.

Your Fourth Character Strength
Kindness and generosity
You are kind and generous to others, and you are never too busy to do a favor. You enjoy doing good deeds for others, even if you do not know them well.

Your Fifth Character Strength
Love of learning
You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn."

What have you learnt about yourself from doing the survey? 

No comments:

Post a Comment