I want to change the world, Pinky, and I need YOUR help!


I’ve decided to start a business through which I can funnel all the plans I have for changing society (Ja like the Brain, I want to rule the world, Pinky).




Mainly I want to provide experiential training and workshops (not just head knowledge, eish) to people (parents and non-parents) on things like
  • How to talk to your child: Helpful and unhelpful strategies;
  • How to discuss parenting issues with your spouse;
  • How to play with your child to encourage emotional development;
  • How to play with your child to encourage emotional development;
  • Managing boundaries with grandparents;
  • Explore our world with your child;
  • How to enter your child’s world through play;
  • Emotional Connectedness: How to and How to NOT;
  • Showing empathy to your spouse;
  • Anger, Forgiveness and Reconciliation;
  • Changing your parenting style;
  • The Dreaded D: Age-appropriate, child-specific discipline methods; 
  • Core-need specific workshops;
  • Why DO I behave the way I do?
  • “Reality Testing”: choice of marriage partners for singles;
  • “What People Never Tell You about parenthood” parenting preparation; and
  • Understanding your child’s temperament.
Obviously this is a long-term vision but the plan is to
  
  • Stay with small groups,
  • Keep the learning fun but meaningful,
  • Make it experiential,
  • Include movie therapy along with other training aids,
  • Make it cost-effective for people to attend;
  • Keep each training session short and shweet; and
  • Focus on the concept of togetherness.
Togetherness is the feeling of being close to another person emotionally and physically. It is an emotion which cannot be defined outside of its context, and the reality of such a term is not "knowledge." It is well symbolized by the gesture of holding both hands up, slightly cupped with palms facing each other, and moving them together to create a circle. The other symbol is also when two arms hold each other at the wrist. (Wikipedia). Dibanisa, by the way, is a Xhosa word meaning “to join, connect, combine”.
So, I’ve been pondering on the name for the business, as my poor friends who receive sms’ late night with ideas; Kudos for them as they mostly respond with honest yet kind comments to less than palatable ideas. The idea is the name is meaningful in the SA context but also conveys my idealist dream for this vehicle:
  • To be the bevelled mirror that reflects God’s character to the world (thank you N.T.Wright for this wonderful metaphor);
  • To bring a bit of the age to come into the present age through building relational connections;
  • To prevent the formation of lifetraps in our children; and
  • Make some sort of living for myself (I’ve given up the dream to be rich in favour of the desire to be content whether in want or in plenty).
So, I need your help in deciding on a name for this business.  I’ve created a poll to the left of this post, so PLEASE VOTE.  Add comments at the end of the post if you have more suggestions – I’m super open to name ideas. 
Some Pinky and the Brain quotes for other Brain maniacs:

Pinky has kicked him into the cage bars while doing his Russian dance
P: Gee, Brain, what are you doing over there?
B: Pondering your afterlife, Pinky.
(My favourite now...)
B: Promise me something, Pinky. Never breed.
P: I'll try.


To Pinky, while on stilts
B: If I could reach you, I would hurt you.
From "When Mice Ruled the Earth"B: Some mice have more evolving to do than others.

From "The Helpinky Formula"
B: Remember, I'm not just the president of the Small Club for Men, I'm also a mouse planning world domination.

Introducing himself to TV land
B: And I am the Iconoclast, an unconventional eccentric who marches to a different drummer... [whacked on head] but you may call me Noodle Noggin.

P: Egad! You astound me, Brain!
B: That's a simple task, Pinky.

From the end of "Brain's Night Off," after a series of unsuccessful entertainment tripsB: Come, Pinky. We must return to the lab to prepare for tomorrow night.
P: Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tomorrow night?
B: The only thing I know how to have any fun doing. Trying to take over the world!

3 comments:

MB said...

I would go with just "The Dibanisa Project." It sounds awesome and if people want to know what it means (those that don't already) then they have to do a little research, and if they're doing that they're already invested in the program a bit.

Unknown said...

I like Dibanisa Togetherness Development. When it comes to relationships/people etc, words like 'training' and 'project', to me, are a turn-off.
Development is much more positive - you're saying people have travelled a road so far and now you're going to show them how they can live richer, more fulfilled lives.
Good luck with it - it ain't going to be easy, Brain, people can be very entrenched in negative behaviour

Amanda said...

Good suggestions guys...you've clarified quite a bit where I should be going with this name. I'm wondering about The Dibanisa Way with sub-programs Dibanisa Kids, Dibanisa Parents, Dibanisa Marriages etc. Short and Shweet.

Michael, only Xhosa people, maybe Zulu will know what Dibanisa means. But it says nicely once you're used to it. Hazey, tell me about it - can just look at myself to know it! Btw, that Brain quote is also my favourite... We definitely still have the same sardonic sense of humour...evil!

Post a Comment